This opportunity sits in Supply Chain Operations (SCO), a division of Route Services that procures safe, sustainable, products and services that are in turn used to improve and enhance the rail infrastructure across Britain. SCO aims to deliver excellent value and service to our customers, helping the rail industry to work together to deliver a more cost-effective railway.
Our extensive supply chain network plays a crucial role in helping to run a safe and efficient railway.
Every year we:
- Buy and deliver 2,000km of rail and 2.5 million tonnes of ballast.
- Operate 1,200 rail vehicles.
Behind the scenes we:
- Process £7,000,000,000 of payments.
- Handle over 23,000 IT helpdesk calls.
- Mechanical and electrical locking fitters maintain 468 signal boxes and 387 ground frames.
- Operational property helpdesk process over 200,000 calls
As a Maintenance Fitter you will In line with your technical competencies held, inspect, repair and maintain a broad range of Network Rail’s Rail Fleets.
This includes ballast, spoil and aggregate vehicles, sleeper carrying wagons and seasonal treatment trains.
- Undertake the inspection, repair, modification, maintenance and commissioning of rail vehicles and associated track treatment modules in accordance with company policies and statutory regulations.
- Work closely with supervisor and fleet engineers to undertake fault diagnosis, investigate defects and carry out subsequent rectification.
- Maintain working areas/bays to provide an organised, clean and fit for purpose facility. Apply good engineering principles and practices at all times.
- Propose and introduce initiatives and technical solutions to maintain the rail fleet and its supporting modules in the most cost effective and efficient manner.
- Support consist preparation and the movements of modules in and around the site.
- Provide seasonal support to rail vehicles and associated track treatment modules in accordance with company policies (Where applicable).
- Support the introduction of the Fleet Asset Management System by capturing and recording all details of work undertaken within rail vehicle documentation.
- Support the overhaul and maintenance of key assets to enable project delivery, to time, budget and quality indicators
- Undertake and support the growth of the depot, including training and development as identified by the Depot Engineering Manager
- Support and maintain a safe working environment, identify and support the close out of ‘close calls’. Maintain personal tools, test equipment and all resources necessary to meet and deliver the required
The Ideal Candidate
- Recognised certificated apprenticeship or equivalent in a relevant subject
- Appropriate experience in similar role within an operational environment
- Knowledge of Railway Group and Company Standards relating to rail vehicle engineering
- Knowledge of Network Rail’s Rail Fleet and associated track treatment modules
- Trained and competent in fork lifts, lifting equipment and overhead cranes
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Knowledge of Welding and current welding standards
- Knowledge of Hydraulic, Electrical and Pneumatic systems
- Team player
This position is based in York
Role: Maintenance Fitter
Salary range: Band 6 £28k per annum
At Network Rail you will have a clear development path, access to training and enjoy a range of employee benefits, such as; up to 28 days annual leave, rail subsidies, a range of pension options, flexible and agile working arrangements, discounts on shopping, gym memberships and much more.
Closing date: 18 May 2022
Click ‘apply for this job’ to apply. If you would like to Graham.Whittaker@networkrail.co.uk
About the Company
We’re an organisation where people matter. We matter to millions.
Our role is to run a safe, reliable and efficient railway, serving customers and communities. We exist to get people and goods where they need to be and to support our country’s economic prosperity. Safety is our number one priority.
We're undertaking an ambitious change. Our vision is Putting Passengers First - becoming a company that is on the side of passengers and freight users.
As one of the UK’s leading equal opportunities employers, our values and the way we behave is important to us and we have created an environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution. We have seven employee networks that provide fantastic support, opportunities and development for applicants from all backgrounds. Click here for more information
Network Rail Infrastructure Ltd