This role sits in Route Services, a business area that has been created to supply services to the routes in the safest, most cost-efficient and effective way, enabling them to benefit from economies of scale and optimised national resources.
Working in the Route Services IT Team, you will provide our customers with smart technology for the railway of today, designing fit-for-purpose and innovative solutions. Your vital work will help to manage the day-to-day running of our vast IT estate, from safety critical systems maintenance to hardware provision, supporting thousands of employees every day.
Enable Network Rail strategic business objectives through translation of segment and domain Enterprise Architecture target states, roadmaps and emerging demand into delivery programmes and projects. Add value to delivery through effective architectural dependency management and opportunities to innovate within programme and project scope. Provide assurance that project designs are in alignment with both the Enterprise Architecture and programme architecture.
What will you be doing?
- Translate change initiative priorities into well-formed programmes of work to be delivered by portfolios, programmes and projects in alignment with segment Enterprise Architecture target states, roadmaps, principles and reference architectures.
- Develop programme architectures covering programme scope and outcomes, business, application, information and technology architectures to shape a coherent set of projects.
- Support Portfolio, Programme and Project Delivery Managers to develop optimal balance of programme delivered value with resource and environmental constraints.
- Engage and communicate with business stakeholders to elaborate understanding and value of business objectives & strategies, demonstrating how the architecture will deliver target outcomes.
- Maintain programme architectures to reflect changing context, requirements and emerging demand. Negotiate required changes and dependencies across the enterprise architecture.
- Identify, allocate and track programme level business value and technology risks.
- Drive re-use of data, processes and technology where appropriate by verifying that programme scoped data, and application & technology knowledge is maintained and contributes to the broader Enterprise Architecture.
- Use, create and enhance Network Rail reference architectures and patterns and provide approval of solution designs to programme governance and represent designs to the RS IT Design Board.
- Lead and provide line and performance management to the Solution Architects, creating high performing teams whilst developing individual capability in line with organisational needs.
- Collaborate with approved suppliers to understand product road mapping and impact of end of life products to provide seamless integration into the environment.
The Ideal Candidate
Meet the essential criteria/ Apply today to join our team!
- A balance of business, information, application and technology architecture proficiency.
- Ability to take a strategic view and see the ‘big picture’ allied to the ability to adopt an analytical approach to complex change programmes with the awareness of operational implications
- Experience of programme scoping and mapping programme outcomes, benefits and capabilities
- Experience of operating at a senior level, building effective relationships with Programme Sponsors and dealing with executive colleagues, and a range of stakeholders
- Understanding of Enterprise Architecture standards and patterns and their application at programme and project levels
- Ability to display a high level of analytical problem-solving skills and the ability to assimilate complex information, to facilitate escalation and resolution of issues
- Excellent technical authoring skills
- Relevant experience and/or qualifications such as TOGAF, MODAF, SaFE, Zachman, Systems Engineering Certification.
- Knowledge of business systems and their application (e.g. corporate, supply chain, asset management, financial, HR, engineering)
- Experience of digital business technologies including (IOT, API, Big Data, Security, Hybrid Cloud, Collaboration, Content Management)
- Negotiation skills for Programme Architecture governance – trade-off analysis, conflict resolution, inspiring change, risk assessment
- Experience of corporate process architecture development and deployment
- Experience of enterprise level architectural development across all domains, including experience of ‘system of systems’ architecture development
- Experience of the application of industry frameworks and maturity models including COBIT, ITIL, P3M, MoP, MSP, PRINCE2, P3M3 and CMMI.
- Information Security Concepts, Standards (BS7799/InfoSec), Infrastructure and Technologies
- Business and commercial acumen – understanding business models, financial drivers, competition
- Leadership experience in other parts of the IT lifecycle – including build, service, operations, supplier management.
Who we are looking for?
We are committed to a diverse workplace enriched with representation from diverse cultures, backgrounds and skills. We pride ourselves on creating an environment where difference is embraced, and individuals can thrive. We recognise that the success of the team is dependent on a multi-cultural, multi-disciplined group of individuals, aligned to deliver successful solutions.
At Network Rail, we have a number of employee networks to reflect our diverse population and help to raise issues to the wider workforce and support their membership and support our Everybody Matters strategy, led by our central Diversity & Inclusion team. We have Diversity & Inclusion Champions who take part and lead on many activities, to drive through more initiatives to support an inclusive environment for all its people and promote a professional and positive working environment. For more information on Diversity & Inclusion at Network Rail, please follow this link
Vacancy Type: Full-time but flexible working patterns will be considered.
These positions are based in: The Quadrant, Milton Keynes
Closing date: 19 May 2022
Band & Salary: Band 2 B (65,480 - £73,665)
At Network rail you will have a clear development path, access to training and enjoy a range of employee benefits, such as; up to 28 days annual leave plus bank holidays, rail subsidies, a range of pension options, flexible and agile working arrangements, discounts on shopping, gym memberships and much more.
Click ‘apply for this job’ to apply. If you would like to speak the Resourcing Team please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information of the role please contact Eve Evans -
About the Company
We’re an organisation where people matter. We matter to millions.
Our role is to run a safe, reliable and efficient railway, serving customers and communities. We exist to get people and goods where they need to be and to support our country’s economic prosperity. Safety is our number one priority.
We're undertaking an ambitious change. Our vision is Putting Passengers First - becoming a company that is on the side of passengers and freight users.
As one of the UK’s leading equal opportunities employers, our values and the way we behave is important to us and we have created an environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution. We have seven employee networks that provide fantastic support, opportunities and development for applicants from all backgrounds. Click here for more information
Network Rail Infrastructure Ltd