Senior Finance Business Partner
You'll be joining our Route Services finance team. Your role involves supporting the function to deliver services that are vital to the running of the railway, deliver the provision of services agreed by the routes to allow them to benefit from economies of scale and the optimisation of our critical resources.
We offer business partnering insight, guidance and financial support to six primary functions: Business and Technical Services, Commercial and Procurement, Information Technology, Telecoms, Supply Chain Operations, and Engineering Services, along with the Network Rail regional and route businesses.
This role will report into the Group Analyst for Route Services and is particularly looking to develop our financial and commercial analytical capability. The successful candidate will be focused on providing excellent business planning and analytical support to enable informed management decisions.
To work as an integral member of supported business senior leadership team, to proactively identify, plan and meet the finance needs of the business in order to improve business performance, in coordination with other members of the wider finance team as required. To positively challenge Senior Leaders, budgets and business activities to enable the best business outcomes are delivered.
What will you be doing?
- Providing commercial analysis to drive best value decision making around our plans for maintaining and renewing railway assets.
- Consolidate, critically review and provide technical advice and guidance on periodic financial results and forecasts to Identify and monitor risks, opportunities and efficiencies to minimise the financial and legal impact on the business area.
- Provide robust professional recommendations and financial guidance on accounting guidelines and standards to enable the business to be financially and legally compliant.
- Provide technical and professional oversight of the periodic accounts, relevant analysis and preparation of business plans and budgets to enable the business to make effective decisions.
- Develop, understand and influence the cost and income drivers relevant to the business area to deliver the yearly business plan and manage to the overall settlement by effective decision making.
- Influence, coach and challenge senior budget holders in understanding the impact of their period results and forecasts against budgets in order to manage their business more effectively and manage within budgeting limits.
- Proactively challenge budget holders plans and budget submissions to understand the overall plan, providing advice and new initiatives to save costs and be more efficient as an organisation.
- Drive, adapt and deliver key KPI’S and deliverables for the function, highlighting any significant issues and trends with financial and other business results to aid decision makers to make efficiencies.
- Lead in budget holder key meetings on financial performance to provide professional financial advice and guidance to drive business decisions, minimise risk and deliver good corporate governance.
- Develop, drive and implement investment decisions and new business activities, working collaboratively with senior leaders to explore new opportunities and drive business performance.
The Ideal Candidate
Meet the essential criteria/ Apply today to join our team!
- Membership (or working towards membership) of a relevant accounting body (CIMA/ACCA/ICAEW) or equivalent experience
- Excellent stakeholder engagement and communication skills all levels. This should include Customers; 3rd party representatives, other business & functional leaders and key support personnel.
- Successful relevant experience working in a complex financial environment including demonstrable experience in managing business risks, professional financial control and forward planning.
- Demonstrable record of budget management, governance and ability to understand and interpret commercial and financial landscapes (budgets, forecasts, actual status).
- Significant experience in managing ambiguity in a financial environment with strong evaluation and decision-making skills.
- Excellent technical Financial and Accounting knowledge and application of that knowledge in a complex and commercial environment.
- Educated to degree level in a relevant discipline, for example accounting and finance, business management or equivalent demonstrable experience in finance.
- Knowledge of Oracle based financial systems and analytical tools such as Microsoft PowerBI.
Who we are looking for?
We want dynamic individuals who want to be part of a dedicated and skilled workforce, working towards a common goal to ensure Route Services delivers outstanding service for passenger and freight users via our internal customers.
We are committed to a diverse workplace enriched with representation from diverse cultures, backgrounds and skills. We pride ourselves on creating an environment where difference is embraced, and individuals can thrive. We recognise that the success of the team is dependent on a multi-cultural, multi-disciplined group of individuals, aligned to deliver successful financial solutions.
Vacancy Type: Full-time but flexible working patterns will be considered.
These positions are based in: The Quadrant Milton Keynes
Closing date: 7th August 2022
Band & Salary: 3C, (£51,156 - £57,551)
At Network rail you will have a clear development path, access to training and enjoy a range of employee benefits, such as; up to 28 days annual leave plus bank holidays, rail subsidies, a range of pension options, flexible and agile working arrangements, discounts on shopping, gym memberships and much more.
Click ‘apply for this job’ to apply. If you would like to speak the Resourcing Team please contact RSResourcing@networkrail.co.uk
For further information of the role please contact Andrew.Treharne@networkrail.co.uk
About the Company
We’re an organisation where people matter. We matter to millions.
Our role is to run a safe, reliable and efficient railway, serving customers and communities. We exist to get people and goods where they need to be and to support our country’s economic prosperity. Safety is our number one priority.
We're undertaking an ambitious change. Our vision is Putting Passengers First - becoming a company that is on the side of passengers and freight users.
As one of the UK’s leading equal opportunities employers, our values and the way we behave is important to us and we have created an environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution. We have seven employee networks that provide fantastic support, opportunities and development for applicants from all backgrounds. Click here for more information
Network Rail Infrastructure Ltd